A) What is Development?
Task 1: What is development?
Create a photo montage that illustrates your ideas about what, “Development,” means. Consider the following headings as you search for photo’s.
Economic [money], Political [governments], Social [people] and Environmental [environment and surroundings]
Find suitable photos on the internet and then put them into a single page with the title, “Development is …….. .”
Label each photo with a single word to complete the sentence in the title.
Task 2: Developed or Not?
Have a go at this drag and drop exercise. Are these countries More Economically Developed Countries (MEDC’s) or Less Economically Developed Countries (LEDC’s) .
Whilst you will still see these terms being used today the correct terms have changed.
The World Bank assigns the world’s economies into four income groups — high, upper-middle, lower-middle, and low. We base this assignment on GNI per capitahttps://blogs.worldbank.org
HIC – High Income Country
MIC – Middle Income Country
LIC – Low Income Country
GNI – Gross National Income
GDP – Gross Domestic Product
Click on the banner below and complete tasks 1-5 from Geographypods.com
If you have time you can also do task 6.
Work through this worksheet that looks at the idea of what development is in more detail.
Task 5: Summary: What does a developed country look like?
Complete this worksheet from geographyalltheway.com
B) What is Poverty?
|Children in Kallyanpur, one of the urban slums in Dhaka, Bangladesh. What signs of poverty can you see in this image?|
- Insert the photograph above into your word document and then label the signs of poverty it shows. Use arrows and text boxes to add labels.
“Living in extreme poverty means that you don’t have the basic resources you need to survive; such as food, water and shelter. A person is said to be living in extreme poverty if they have less than US$1.90 a day to cover all of their needs.” Oxfam
2. Copy down the definition above. This is the definition of absolute or extreme poverty.
3. Do you think this is the only form of poverty? Read the article the below and make notes on poverty in Switzerland?
4. Explain in your own words how poverty in Switzerland is different from the extreme poverty you described in Question 1.
5. Where are you in the Global Rich List?Click on the link below.
This is one to do with your parents as it is likely that they are the ones who earn the money in your household.
Task 7: What can we do? The role of charity.
Use the internet to gather information about a charity that work with people in poverty. Do not just use their own website. Use a range of different sources to get a broader idea of who they are and what they do.
Write a 500 word report describing the charity and what they do;
Your report should include the following.
- An introduction to the charity.
- A description of a specific project that they are involved in.
- Where the project is
- a map showing the location of the project
- Why the project is needed?
- What the project involves
- How successful it has been.
- Some relevant photographs that are referred to in your text.
- 500 words includes headings and the main body of text only.
Report Honesty Policy:
At the end of the paragraph I would like you to list the websites you obtained your information from. There should be at least three for this assignment.
Do not copy large sections of text from the internet. You may quote short pieces of text from the websites you find. If you do this, make sure to use the correct grammar and state clearly the source of the information.
How will the essay be marked?
Your essay will be marked using the rubric below. Read it carefully and use it as a guide to writing your essay.
Extension) Your ideal future.
Produce a summary of your own personal vision for the future of humanity. This could be done as piece of writing, a collage of pictures, a piece of art work or in any other form that can be displayed in class. You may want to use an example of something taking place today that you think represents the future as you envision it. Alternatively you may wish to discuss a wide range of ideas and hopes that you have.